Monday, July 12, 2010

Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan




Borrowed from the Library

Synopsis from Goodreads

Mae Crawford's always thought of herself as in control, but in the last few weeks her life has changed. Her younger brother, Jamie, suddenly has magical powers, and she's even more unsettled when she realizes that Gerald, the new leader of the Obsidian Circle, is trying to persuade Jamie to join the magicians. Even worse? Jamie hasn't told Mae a thing about any of it. Mae turns to brothers Nick and Alan to help her rescue Jamie, but they are in danger from Gerald themselves because he wants to steal Nick's powers. Will Mae be able to find a way to save everyone she cares about from the power-hungry magician's carefully laid trap?


Review


Hi all, saw Christinabean's review for Demon's Lexicon and just had to add my two cents worth for the sequel. (By the way, she was right, I did guess the twist at the end - it was amazing!)


As much as I enjoyed Demon's Lexicon, and that was a whole lot, I enjoyed its follow-up, Demons' Covenant, even more. The characters of Mae, Jamie, Nick and Alan are fleshed out in this second book, and to be honest I couldn't make up my mind whether I loved some of them or hated them. I think that is often a sign of great writing. You become so invested in the characters that you get mad at them for doing stupid things and feel for them when bad things happen, even though you may not actually like them very much at the time. I just can't decide what to think about Nick - most of the time I really don't like him very much, then he does something unexpected and I have a change of heart.
By the way, if you're looking for the usual werewolves and vampires, you won't find them here, but there is lots of magic and mayhem, which is just as much fun, IMO.
This is one of those stories that you can't really say a lot about without giving away the story, and I don't want to spoil things for anyone who hasn't read the first one yet. My advice - put this book at the very top of your TBR pile and don't put off reading it, especially if you like a bit of darkness in your urban fantasy. I know for sure that I will be first on the waiting list for the as yet un-named third in the trilogy, as long as Christinabean doesn't get there before me!

Christinabean here...sounds like a great read.  I hope you returned it to the library Miss Curlypow 'cause I think I'm next on the list!  BTW, I had a nice little chat on Twitter with Ms. Rees Brennan.  She is a lovely lady...hoping to get a quick author interview from her in the future!  Look her up and follow her on Twitter if you get the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment