Friday, August 13, 2010

Infinity By Sherrilyn Kenyon


Published: May 2010

Publisher: St Martin's Griffin

Pages: 448

Copy provided by: Library

Summary: Goodreads



Summary:

At fourteen, Nick Gautier thinks he knows everything about the world around him. Streetwise, tough and savvy, his quick sarcasm is the stuff of legends. . .until the night when his best friends try to kill him. Saved by a mysterious warrior who has more fighting skills than Chuck Norris, Nick is sucked into the realm of the Dark-Hunters: immortal vampire slayers who risk everything to save humanity.

Nick quickly learns that the human world is only a veil for a much larger and more dangerous one: a world where the captain of the football team is a werewolf and the girl he has a crush on goes out at night to stake the undead.

But before he can even learn the rules of this new world, his fellow students are turning into flesh eating zombies. And he’s next on the menu.

As if starting high school isn't hard enough. . .now Nick has to hide his new friends from his mom, his chainsaw from the principal, and keep the zombies and the demon Simi from eating his brains, all without getting grounded or suspended. How in the world is he supposed to do that?

Review:
I have mixed feelings about this book.  I have seen many of Sherrilyn Kenyon's adult books on the shelf and I know that she is very popular with the supernatural crowd but this is the first time I've seen her books in the YA section.  I heard a lot of hype about this book a few months ago but have heard little since. 

When I first started reading Infinity, I think I stayed up until around 1am reading the first 150 pages.  The story really grabbed me and I was onboard.  However, as I kept reading, I found myself re-reading and I felt that there were so many characters to keep track of.  To be honest, I didn't feel that there was enough time spent in character development I didn't feel like I connected with the characters as I should have.  For a story that started out strong, it fizzled in the middle and then picked up again towards the end.  I'm glad that I stuck it out and kept reading because the novel has an interesting twist but I wasn't keen on the writing style or lack of character development.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not trying to offend any of you Sherrilyn Kenyon fans but this book lacked something for me personally.  Oh, and I HATED how Simi spoke it was so annoying.  Think Jar Jar Binks from the Star Wars series...On a better note though, I will give her second book a try - Invincible.  This may appeal to boys as it is done from a teenage boy's POV.  Perhaps a good guy read if you're looking for a book to refer.  It comes out February 1st, 2011. 

One of my favorite quotes - pg 409-410

"Infinity is never-ending"
"...no matter what happens or what obstacles you meet.  Over, under, around, or through.  There's always a way.  And if you have to chase something to infinity, strap on your big-boy pants, hiking boots, and go."

No comments:

Post a Comment