Tuesday, January 4, 2011

In Case You Missed It - Devoured by Amanda Marrone



Published: September 2009
Published: Simon Pulse
# Pages: 289
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads


Megan’s twin sister Remy died in an accident nine years ago, and she’s been haunting her ever since. Knowing how crazy that sounds, Megan keeps this secret to herself and tries to lead a normal life. But when she takes a summer job at Land of Enchantment to keep an eye on her new boyfriend and his lovesick best friend, Samantha, she meets fellow employee Luke who can see Remy, too. Things get even twistier because Megan’s new friend Ari is sporting a massive crush on Luke, who seems to be developing a massive crush on Megan…making for a love triangle that’s positively possessed. Megan wants to keep her distance from Luke, but when Remy’s visions get crazy violent; she knows she needs his help. Because someone’s definitely in danger...the only question is who?


'Devoured' was a wonderful mix of cracked fairytale and creepy ghost story. I found myself falling into the story very quickly and I loved the pacing. The basis of the story is the mirror from Snow White and it almost becaomes a character in its own right. It's a bit of a malevolent spirit and helped add to the creepiness of the ghost part of the story. Devoured is actually quite gruesome in parts and there are several mutilated bodies mentioned, so you can imagine the tension as the story progresses.


Megan can see ghosts, or one ghost anyway, so when she meets Luke, who admits he can also see Remy, Megan's dead sister, she feels she has found a bit of a kindred spirit. The inevitable triangle ensues, with Megan, Luke and Megan's boyfriend Ryan, but this was a slightly different triangle than the norm and I liked the way this one played out. It didn't seem quite as underhanded as some of them do, and I enjoyed that about it.


To sidetrack a little, I had an interesting conversation with Ms Marrone a few weeks ago after posting my review of Slayed. I had commented on how my opinion of the cover had changed after reading the story and she told me that she had changed the narrative a little so that the cover made sense, and that she had also done that with 'Devoured. When you read the story you understand why the girl on the cover is wearing that lovely blue dress and holding the apple - think Snow White and it might begin to make sense. 'Devoured' wasn't as laugh out loud funny as Slayed, but it has it's moments

' Henrietta gives a halfhearted wave, and everyone claps, though I'm not sure walking around in a park wth a stuffed goose for fifteen years is anything to celebrate.' (136)


' I scowl at my reflection. "You are a skanky ho." '(205)


That's Megan talking to her reflection in the mirror! Three guesses as to what she's been doing.

All in all I really enjoyed this one. It could be a little disturbing for younger teens, if you don't like creepy ghosts or graphic descriptions of death, but it was a great read and I'm looking forward to reading her others. Try this one if you missed it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment