Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Marked by Inara Scott


Published: April 2012
Publisher: Hyperion Book
Pages: 320
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
In her second semester at a boarding school for teenagers with special powers, Dancia Lewis faces danger from both inside and outside of Delcroix Academy.

All of her life, Dancia Lewis has wanted to use her powers for good. And now that she’s learned the truth about Delcroix Academy—and herself—she may just get the chance. But being part of Delcroix’s top secret Program isn’t anything like Dancia expected. She has to ask herself: what happens to the Talented kids who refuse to pledge their loyalty to the Program? And why did her friend Jack run away rather than join? Dancia’s adorable boyfriend Cam insists they need the help of every Talented student to defend Delcroix from dangerous enemies outside their gates. But Dancia has to wonder: what if Delcroix’s most frightening enemies come from within?

Review:
The Marked is book #2 in The Talents series.  I had been waiting for this one to come out.  If you enjoy watching X-Men the movie, you'll like this series.  The Talents series has something that I always look for - a great story that doesn't involve sex, extreme violence and/or language.  As a librarian, I often find it hard to refer books to a younger audience who can read at a higher level than their peers.  It can be sometimes difficult to find content that is still age-appropriate.  The Talents series fits this bill well.  In fact, I just gave my signed copy of The Candidates to a friend's daughter.  (The original artwork!)  It was SO hard to give up but this young reader is so voracious and she's only 10.  She'd tear through the YA section at the library if her Mom would let her.  Instead, I was recruited to provide her with some more age-appropriate guidance.   I hope she enjoys this series as much as I have.


So back to my review.  Dancia begins to get in touch with her powers and gains more control in this book.  I hate to say it but I questioned Cam's loyalties to her through the first 1/2 of the book...especially whenever Anna was around.  Is he really looking out for her best interests or for the interests of the Academy?  (These questions plagued my mind)  The Marked is a wee bit slow to start but if you stick with it, you'll see how the story gains momentum.  


I'm a fan of Inara Scott and she has also released an adult title called Rules of Negotiation.  Interested in a contemp adult romance?  Check out the link.  Its on my TBR list as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment