Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass



Published: April 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 327
Copy: Library
Summary: Goodreads

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


Wow! This book has been on the YA Lit radar for sometime, with the rights for TV and movie options floating around (they have been grabbed by Warner Bros. if IMDB can be trusted) before the book had even been released! That mixed with the stunning cover, meant that the book had a big reputation to live up to. And I of course, am a sucker.

For those who haven't heard all the buzz, The Selection is exactly what it sounds like: a wonderful mix of The Hunger Games and Beauty Queens, or The Bachelor and Survivor for our TV-minded friends. Despite the clear sources of inspiration, Kiera Cass has stepped into the authoring world with her best foot forward, and weaves a dazzling story with characters you cheer for, and have your heart break for. Despite my dislike of our heroine’s name (America…although Ms. Cass gave me a legitimate reason for her being named so…which made me hate it a little less), she is a character I can relate with on so many levels it was a little scary at first: strong, and while confused, she doesn’t make decisions rashly that make you question her character. Heartthrob Aspen is a little harder to wrap your head around (I can’t understand his way of thinking…which is hard to explain without spoilers), but he is a heartthrob, so we’ll let him get away with it. Prince Maxon is absolutely wonderful, and he performs up to The Bachelor standards, kissing girls despite not-quite-made declarations to others. Add that to the rise from a not-quite-destitute setting, to the lavish descriptions of the palace and dresses that sound like they are to die for. All in all, despite being yet another book with a girl-in-gorgeous-dress cover (I thought I was done with this trend), The Selection’s stunning outside is mirrored by a stunning debut on the inside.

I stayed up past my bedtime to finish this book off (I got through this in 2 days, which is an amazing feat with my schedule), and was heart broken! A huge cliffhanger means I have way too long to wait for book two. And trust me, this will be a book I go out to buy so I can devour it ASAP. And I truly believe that if you love YA, you’ll feel the same way.

Many thanks to Special K for todays review.  We love you 'K'

3 comments:

  1. One of the reasons that I often wait to read a series until a few books are available is that I hate the wait!

    Love the cover on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't bear to wait with all the buzz...but I just couldn't believe that it ended where it did! Fantastic read though...if you manage to hold out until the next book is released, you might want to clear out enough time to read them both straight through - you'll want to!

      Delete
  2. New follower. I love books that keep me up past my bedtime! I wish every book was like that. :)

    ReplyDelete