Thursday, July 26, 2012

Drain You by M Beth Bloom



Every night I'd lie there in bed and look out at the hills behind our house, listening. I knew there'd be consequences.

Actions meant reactions. Sunrises meant sunsets. My fear was too permanent, lasting longer than eyeliner, something I wore every day and didn't wash off.

Quinlan Lacey's life is a red carpet of weird fashions, hip bands, random parties, and chilling by the pool with her on-and-off BFF Libby. There's also her boring job (minimum wage), a crushed-out coworker (way too interested), her summer plans (nada), and her parents (totally clueless). Then one night she meets gorgeous James, and Quinn's whole world turns crazy, Technicolor, 3-D, fireworks, whatever.

But with good comes bad and unfortunately, Quinn's new romance brings with it some majorly evil baggage. Now, to make things right, she has to do a lot of things wrong (breaking and entering, kidnapping, lying, you name it).

There's normal, and then there's paranormal, and neither are Quinlan's cup of Diet Coke. Staying sane, cool, in love, and alive isn't so easy breezy.


Sad to say, Drain You was another of those books I enjoyed,  but .....  This time I enjoyed the story itself, but I absolutely did not like the main character, Quinn.  She was, to me, a spoilt brat, with too much time on her hands and no sense of responsibility or boundaries.  She appeared to me to use people shamelessly, and over-react to anything and everything, and I never did  understand the relationship between Libby and Quinn.  Were they best friends, or not?  Quinn seems such a huge drama queen who spends an awful lot of time lying around unwashed and feeling sorry for herself, and I kept wanting to shake her and tell her to have a shower. I found it hard to have sympathy for someone who turns up for work in a bikini top!

As usual there were lots of hot guys running around, and in this case, as the title suggests, they are vampires.  James is the good looking, 'good' vampire, but he seems to disappear when he's most needed, leaving the field open for the 'bad' vampires.  Them I liked!  They were just nasty sleaze buckets and I could not understand why Libby got involved.   Sorry, don't want to give away too much story here.  One character I did like was Whit, James's brother, but I couln't understand what he found so appealing in Quinn.

 To cut a long rant short, the storyline was interesting enough to keep me reading, but in the end I didn't find it anything special, and the ending just drove me bonkers - so strange.  I'm certain there are many vampire fans out there who will drink it up - pun intended - and I'd love to hear from you, but I'm sorry Drain You, I'm just not that in to you.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way! It's so hard to love a book with such an unlikable main character. I also didn't get the instalove between James and Quinn, so I felt the story improved with the appearance of Whit. But again didn't get the attraction on his side since Quinn was so awful.

    ReplyDelete