Saturday, November 10, 2012

52 Reasons Why I Hate My Father - by Jessica Brody


Published: July 2012
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux 
Pages: 352
Copy Provided by: Purchased eBook
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:

Being America’s favorite heiress is a dirty job, but someone’s gotta do it. 

Lexington Larrabee has never to work a day in her life. After all, she’s the heiress to the multi-billion-dollar Larrabee Media empire. And heiresses are not supposed to work. But then again, they’re not supposed to crash brand new Mercedes convertibles into convenience stores on Sunset Blvd either.

Which is why, on Lexi’s eighteen birthday, her ever-absent, tycoon father decides to take a more proactive approach to her wayward life. Every week for the next year, she will have to take on a different low-wage job if she ever wants to receive her beloved trust fund. But if there’s anything worse than working as a maid, a dishwasher, and a fast-food restaurant employee, it’s dealing with Luke, the arrogant, albeit moderately attractive, college intern her father has assigned to keep tabs on her.

In a hilarious “comedy of heiress” about family, forgiveness, good intentions, and best of all, second chances, Lexi learns that love can be unconditional, money can be immaterial, and, regardless of age, everyone needs a little saving. And although she might have 52 reasons to hate her father, she only needs one reason to love him.

Review:

I love Jessica Brody  She is one of my go-to authors when I want to light-hearted fun read.  I thoroughly enjoyed Karma Club (you can check out my review via the link).  This book is a cross between Clueless and The Simple Life.  So let me tell you a little bit about Lexington Larrabee.  She is like Paris Hilton, only even more clueless about how the majority of the world lives and works.  Being spoiled has its perks though and Lexi eagerly awaits the huge trust fund endowed upon her for her eighteenth birthday.  Unfortunately, all Lexi has ever done is party and act irresponsibly.  She has no respect for others and no direction or ambition in life.  Everything has been handed to her and nothing has been earned.  She has no sense of accomplishment and does not understand the idea of work ethic.  That all comes to a crashing halt when her father changes the rules of her trust fund.  What would you do for 25 million dollars?  He forces her to work 52 different jobs (one a week for a year) in order to grow up.  

52 Reasons Why I Hate My Father is a hilarious look at how a spoiled brat goes through a tortuous learning experiment and develops into a more caring human being.  At first, Lexi was such a dislikeable character.  I would be ashamed if I knew someone who treated others as she had.  However, as the story unfolds, she uncovers secrets in her family and learns why her dysfunctional life has come to be.  In effect, the experiences she has allows her to grow a backbone.  Along the way she meets a guy.  Don't they always?  And even uses some of the new skills she has garnered to help her family.  Get a box of tissue ready.  You'll be laughing hard at the beginning and crying by the time you reach the end of the book. I would recommend this one to everyone.  The perfect read for the pre-teen moving into the YA section - easy on the language and the content plus entertaining.  52 Reasons is just a "feel good" book and perfect for reading over next month's winter break!  Need more to convince you?  Check out this awesome book trailer (BTW, Jessica Brody has THE BEST book trailers!) - 

2 comments:

  1. I've read reviews of this one before and wasn't really interested, until I read this one. I think I'll have to put this on the list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annette! I enjoyed it but I think my favourite of Miss Brody's work is still Karma Club. It was just a fun read.

    ReplyDelete