Friday, February 22, 2013

Follow Friday



Friday Follow is a blog hop that was started by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read.  Each week a different question is posted by our hosts and we wil answer!  This is a great opportunity for bloggers to network and interact. 
This week’s question –

We always talk about books that WE want. Let’s turn it on its head. What books have you given other people lately?


It has been a long time since I've given a book as they are so individual.  To me, I feel like books are similar to giving perfume.  You really have to know the individual before you give away something so personal.  The last time I gave a book away, I was looking through my shelf for a title appropriate for my friend's pre-teen daughter.  She made away with a few YA books including Fallen by Lauren Kate and a signed copy of Inara Scott's - The Candidates (original cover).  She got hooked on two new series and I had a new admirer. :)

Curlypow here. Just thought I'd add my 2C worth - for me, I kind of give books away every day when I recommend a title at work.  Working in a library is wonderful that way and I am always happy when I see customers come back with a smile asking for something else by that same author.  One of my favourites lately has been a 12 year old boy who is reluctant to read and because of my 'gentle suggestion' is now on no 8 of the Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan.  How cool is that? And to make it even better he has convinced his Dad to read the series too.  I love my job.


Welcome to the Paperback Princesses! Make yourself at home, take a look around our blog and let us know what you think in the comments section. We would love to hear what you have to say about our posts. We often try to comment on your comments as well so feel free to start a conversation! Since there are two of us running the show, we always have a variety of titles and event postings. Be sure to check out our own personal meme page. Check out Fantastic Fairytales, Let's Hear it for the Boys, In Case you Missed it and a few others. We try to not only focus on new YA books but also great titles from the past.

6 comments:

  1. I agree -- as I said in my post -- my "gifts" are my recommendations. I love finding the right book for the right person. My FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though every one seems to hate this seris, but I love the Fallen series. I just love angel books.
    old follwoer
    my F&F
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/02/friday-56-22-follow-friday-21_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you read is such an individual choice, you're right it's is like giving perfume, it's not going to be right for everyone. That's why I like giving away gift cards to a bookseller, then they get to choose what they want but it's still spreading book-love :) Old follower.
    Traci @ Mad Hatter Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Curlypow! I know, I recommend books all the time at the library, too. It is so great when you get someone hooked on a new book/series! It really never gets old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all these fellow librarian blogs I'm coming across. I totally agree that books are way too personal to be given as gifts most of the time. The chances of someone giving me the right book or one I haven't read yet are slim. I wish I could find a teenager to go through my box of 30+ books/ARCS that I am discarding from my personal collection.

    I'm a new follower.

    Here is my FF Post.

    Lisa @ I'll Tumble For YA


    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great question - and I want to chime in with my craziness.

    Anytime I go used book shopping, I always buy any copy of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card or The Gunslinger by Stephen King. Which means I give away a ridiculous number of those books - I actually just gave away my last extra copy of Ender's Game this past weekend. I love both those stories so so much, I insist on sharing them with anybody willing.

    ReplyDelete