Saturday, June 14, 2014

Graduation Day by Joelle Charbonneau

 
Published: June 17th, 2014
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Pages: 304
Copy: Publisher via Edelweiss
Summary: Goodreads

In book three of the Testing series, the United Commonwealth wants to eliminate the rebel alliance fighting to destroy The Testing for good. Cia is ready to lead the charge, but will her lethal classmates follow her into battle?

She wants to put an end to the Testing
In a scarred and brutal future, The United Commonwealth teeters on the brink of all-out civil war. The rebel resistance plots against a government that rules with cruelty and cunning. Gifted student and Testing survivor, Cia Vale, vows to fight.

But she can't do it alone.
This is the chance to lead that Cia has trained for - but who will follow? Plunging through layers of danger and deception, Cia must risk the lives of those she loves--and gamble on the loyalty of her lethal classmates.

Who can Cia trust?
The stakes are higher than ever-lives of promise cut short or fulfilled; a future ruled by fear or hope--in the electrifying conclusion to Joelle Charbonneau's epic Testing trilogy. Ready or not…it's Graduation Day.

The Final Test is the Deadliest!


I have been thoroughly enjoying this trilogy from the beginning and watching Cia and Thomas grow as characters and strengthen their relationship has been a pleasure.  This final volume was full of intrigue and suspense just as the others were , but for some reason I just wasn't quite so engrossed in it as I have been previously.

I've been trying to puzzle out why and I really can't give any concrete answers, but for me it seemed to end with a fizzle and not a bang.  There are twists and turns galore, and trying to work out who can be trusted is a complicated prospect I admit, but that urge to keep turning the pages so I could get to the end faster - well it just wasn't there.  I finished Graduation Day about 3 weeks ago and I find myself struggling to remember exactly what happened.  Oh, I remember in general, and I never once thought of not finishing, but I think I finished another 3 books while reading this one and that is never a good sign.

All in all I would definitely recommend the series for dystopian lovers, and I did love the fact that while there is a romance here, it takes a back seat to the intrigue and action, but in the end this finale was a disappointment for me.  What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for this one. Really enjoyed the first two. Glad you liked the series, but makes me kind of apprehensive for the last one. Lately "last books" seem to be disappointing me more than usual....Perhaps I expect too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this quite a lot with the third books of a trilogy. I don't know if it the case that authors pour all their good ideas into books one and two in order to make you buy the last in the series by which time they have run out of steam. I know I felt like this especially after reading The Hunger Games trilogy.

    ReplyDelete