Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins


Published: April 2014
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Pages: 345
Copy Provided by: Libary
Summary: Goodreads


Summary:

Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.

Review:
Ahhh...more fun book covers!  I never did end up reading Hex Hall series so I thought I would give her Rebel Belle series a try! It sounded fun and a little bit of girl kick-ass.  I was expecting Rebel Belle to be a little more pretentious than what it really was. While the novel started out quickly, it lost momentum for me about 1/2 way through.  Unfortunately, I found myself wandering to start another new novel (sorry Rachel).  

The main character Harper seemed to spend more and more time with David (her competitive nerdy counterpart) rather than her hottie boyfriend Ryan. Yes, I understand that her story is far-fetched and how she came into powers is a little questionable to the every day person but why doesn't she tell her bestie or her boyfriend about what is happening to her?  This is a trend I am beginning to see recently in YA fiction. Why does the main character never seem to confide in their best friend???

I had a number of questions run through my head as I read this book - How does she manage to have so much trust in David, a boy who she has been competitive with since childhood and Saylor Stark (a woman she hardly knows but admires) opposed to her own close friends and family? Why doesn't she question her abilities more or the mysterious way she got them? Why does she just seem to try and ignore it all and continue with her life as if nothing ever happened?

On another note, Harper is a Southern debutante and seems to have some rather set ideals about society and the way you should act.  It's hilarious how David and Harper try hard not to swear and act as civilized as they can, given life threatening situations. I think I would have sounded like a trucker if I were constantly on the run from unknown bad guys.  Despite them trying not to swear, there is a little language in the book.  

Despite Rebel Belle's slow start, I have to applaud Ms Hawkins ending which came as a complete surprise to me.  Wow. The spin with Saylor was completely unexpected. What a messed-up turn of events.  I definitely would have said that using the F word would have been totally appropriate.

Conclusion? If you are looking for a fun read, try this one out.  Push yourself through the slower parts because it really picks up at the end and is worthwhile. Don't try to guess it, just pretend you are watching a fun movie unfold.  Miss Mayhem, BRING IT ON!!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that part of this book was a little slow, plot-wise, but for some reason I never lost interest. I think that's because I love witch stories and this was such a fun one!

    I agree completely with what you said about Harper not confiding in her best friend and that whole trend in YA literature. I usually hate that in books, no matter the genre, because often that would help the main character. There are so many books where the twist of the plot or just basically a life-threatening scene would have never happened if the main character confided in someone!

    Great review =D

    ReplyDelete