Thursday, August 6, 2015

99 days by Katie Cotugno


Published: April 2015
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Pages: 374
Copy Provided by: Borrowed
Summary: Goodreads

Summary: 

Day 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that’s how I know everyone still remembers everything—how I destroyed my relationship with Patrick the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. How I wrecked their whole family. Now I’m serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college, and be done.

Day 4: A nasty note on my windshield makes it clear Julia isn’t finished. I’m expecting a fight when someone taps me on the shoulder, but it’s just Gabe, home from college and actually happy to see me. “For what it’s worth, Molly Barlow,” he says, “I’m really glad you’re back.”

Day 12: Gabe got me to come to this party, and I’m actually having fun. I think he’s about to kiss me—and that’s when I see Patrick. My Patrick, who’s supposed to be clear across the country. My Patrick, who’s never going to forgive me.
 

Review:
Molly.  I feel so sorry for this girl.  She makes one mistake and is punished for it by the entire community for life.  What makes it even worse is that her mother publicizes it (in a novel based on her experience) so everyone can read bits and pieces about what happened. Sure it is a mostly fictional piece but it also becomes a best-seller and very popular. 

How does Molly ever forgive her mother??  Where are the people who have compassion for this girl?  Well, she doesn't forgive her Mom. Instead, she just runs away from it all.  When she returns about a year later, things have calmed down and most people have forgotten.  MOST.  Except for her "I HATE MOLLY" head campaigner - Julia Donnelly, Patrick and Gabe's sister.  

Now that she is back, she has to finally deal with the aftermath of her actions. Patrick has a new girlfriend, Julia is back on the campaign trail and Gabe, well, he still likes Molly.  In fact, he is even willing to take the heat for his actions as well and he is absolutely amazing at sticking up for her to his family.  

I had so many mixed reactions to this book.  Katie know how to tap into your emotional wells and get the reader fired up.  I felt like Molly was Hester from The Scarlet Letter...and Patrick & Molly had already broken up!!  Besides, why was Molly getting all the flack and Gabe wasn't? The entire community and family shamed Molly for hurting Patrick.  And man do they ever bully her.  Doesn't this seem unfair?  (Sorry, I will try to control my ranting).  

I would highly recommend 99 days as a summer read.  It is a great love triangle story and while I'm not 100% convinced of the ending, it did seem suitable.  I think I might have wanted a little more drama at the end up I was happy with it, seeing this is a stand-alone title.  I am REALLY starting to love these stand alone books again....remember what it was like BEFORE series?

There is some language in this title along with reference to sex so please be advised when recommending to younger, more advanced readers.

I first got hooked on Katie Cotugno after reading How to Love.   Katie writes in such an honest way to bring across a character's true feelings and emotions.  I LOVE it.


No comments:

Post a Comment