Saturday, March 26, 2011

Siren - Tricia Rayburn

Published: July 2010
Published by: Egmont USA
Pages: 377
Copy Provided by:  Library
Summary by: Goodreads

Summary:
Vacationing in Winter Harbor, Maine, is a tradition for Vanessa and Justine Sands, and that means spending time with the Carmichael boys. This summer, Vanessa is determined to channel some of her older sister’s boldness, get over her fear of the ocean, and maybe turn her friendship with Simon Carmichael into something much more.

But when Justine goes cliff-diving after a big family argument, and her body washes ashore the next day, Vanessa is sure that it was more than an accident. She is more certain of this, when she discovers that her sister was keeping some big secrets and Caleb Carmichael’s gone missing. Suddenly, the entire oceanfront town is abuzz when a series of grim, water-related accidents occur, with the male victims washed ashore grinning from ear to ear.

Vanessa and Simon team up to figure out if these creepy deaths have anything to do with Justine and Caleb. But will what Vanessa discovers mean the end of her summer romance, or even life as she knows it?


Review:
I really enjoyed Tricia Rayburn's writing style in this book.  The story was quick to start and held my attention to the end.  It wasn't quite what I was expecting in terms of the storyline but I was happily surprised by the results.  The story had an interesting twist which I enjoyed but again, it brought up a whole new set of questions in my mind that weren't really answered. The story was built up well but I felt the ending would have wrapped things up better. I felt like it was missing about 20 more pages in the story. The good news is that this was not a stand-alone.  A few days ago I read a review by a fellow blogger and Siren is only the first book in a trilogy (I should have guessed!). 

Undercurrent is book #2 in the Siren trilogy and while this is a beautiful cover on it's own, I'm surprised that they changed the layout of this book.  It's lost some of it's continuity.  Anywho, I'm still putting it on my TBR list for the summer. It comes out in July 2011.  I love love love the cover of Siren and am looking forward to seeing more of Tricia's work (Ok, so I'll gripe a little that the covers aren't similar)...

Check out the book trailer...



2 comments:

  1. I know! I thought that the Undercurrent was completely different and it was a little weird that the two covers were so different... Oh well. :L Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I loved the cover of Siren and think the cover of Undercurrent is very generic. I'll still read Undercurrent and hope that my questions from Siren get answered!
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete