Sunday, November 11, 2012

who i kissed by Janet Gurtler


Published: October 1st, 2012
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Pages: 312
Copy: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Samantha didn’t mean to hurt anyone. She was just trying to fit in…

And she wanted to make Zee a little jealous…

But now things will never be the same unless she can find a reason to start living again.


I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with books like who I kissed.  I love the fact that  you can so quickly become involved in the characters lives that the story makes you cry - and I hate the fact that they make me cry.  Who i kissed made me cry - twice!  I picked the book up this morning because I didn't feel like doing housework, and 4 hours (and 2 loads of laundry) later I was sitting in the chair with the book finished and blowing my nose and wiping my eyes.  You get the picture?

Who i kissed is a short, quick contemporary read that deals with accidental death and guilt. It also deals with the pettiness of human nature and the thoughtlessness and cruelty of teenagers.  Sam, Zee, Casper, Taylor, etc are all very real, very normal teens and Ms Gurtler manages to make them very 3 dimentional.  It was easy to get involved with their lives and live the tragedy.  There are some very strong adult characters in the story too, which was nice.  It's a sad story, that spotlights a relevant and controversial topic, but does so well and without being preachy.  A good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment