Saturday, May 9, 2015

Promposal by Rhonda Helms


Published: Feb 2015
Publisher: SimonPulse
Pages: 255
Copy Provided by: SimonPulse Community Read
Summary: Goodreads

Summary: 
promposal (n.)--an often public proposal, in which one person asks another to the prom, eliciting joy or mortification.

Camilla can't help hoping her secret crush, Benjamin, might randomly surprise her out of the blue with a promposal. However, when she's asked to prom by an irritating casual acquaintance--wearing a fancy tux and standing in front of a news crew--she's forced to say yes. Yet all hope's not lost. A timely school project gives Camilla a chance to get closer to Benjamin...and it seems like the chemistry between them is crackling. But is she reading into something that isn't there?

Joshua, Camilla's bestie, has been secretly in love with his gay best friend, Ethan, since middle school. Just as he decides to bite the bullet and ask Ethan if he'll go to prom with him, even if just as friends, he gets a shocking surprise: Ethan asks Joshua for help crafting the perfect promposal--for another guy. Now Joshua has to suppress his love and try to fake enthusiasm as he watches his dreams fall apart...unless he can make Ethan see that love has been right in front of his eyes the whole time.

The road to the perfect promposal isn't easy to navigate. But one thing's certain--prom season is going to be memorable.

Review:
I had access to this title for about a week via the Simon & Schuster PulseIt community.   If you haven't already joined, I highly recommend it. You can get access to new titles each week and you have a certain amount of time to read them for free.  FREE people!!  I also like it because you receive newsletters about the new and upcoming author visits and titles coming out. It keeps me informed and although I don't post my reviews and/or videos up, you can do that as well. 

That being said, I made notes on this title as I read it and for some reason, they are missing so I need to go by memory.  And my memory is not great.  Promposal was a fun read for me but it didn't stand out as a "go to" book.  Since it is that time of year, I did want to review this title and give you an opportunity to promote it to your teen readers.  It is a quick read and I do like how it addresses a homosexual relationship as well.

It's always hard when the person you like, likes someone else.  Not only that but wants YOU to help them get noticed by that someone else. Joshua seemed to experience the most stress in this area.  I wish Camilla would have been more in tune with Joshua to help him through it all.  And in the end, it drove me a little bit batty that Camilla didn't speak up more to Benjamin about how she felt. Imagine what would happen if we all just said what we wanted to say?

I think the morale of the story though is that you need to be true to yourself. Peer pressure with a very public PDA is often best gently turned down or dealt with swiftly but gently in private.   How would you have handled it?  I am curious to hear what all of you think.

I'm not sure if asking someone to Prom has become this big of a deal.  Is this really what happens nowadays?  Someone asked me to my first prom with a note.  I didn't get the super-duper planned and social-media invoked request as most people.  When my husband proposed marriage to me, it was rather quiet and personal as well.  When did everything turn into a very PDA event?  Can anyone comment on this for me?




No comments:

Post a Comment