Saturday, November 6, 2010

Crave by Laura J Burns and Melinda Metz



Published:Sept 21, 2010
Publisher: Simon and Shuster
# Pages: 278
Copy provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads


Shay has had a rare blood disorder since she was born. In fact, her mother married one of Shay’s doctors, Martin, who left his world-renowned leukemia research to try and figure out exactly what the disorder is and how to cure it. When she turns seventeen, Martin begins to give her new blood transfusions that make her feel the strongest she has ever felt. But she also has odd visions where she sees through the eyes of a vampire. At first, she thinks she must be imagining the visions, but when she begins to see Martin’s office in them, she knows she has to check it out. That’s when she finds Gabriel, a sexy, teenaged vampire, imprisoned in Martin’s office. The connection she has built with Gabriel compels her to set him free. But when he kidnaps her in an attempt at revenge on Martin, their lives become deeply intertwined. She doesn’t know the half of it.


I have been reading lately that several bloggers have been on a bit of a reading slump, and I have to be honest, I think I'm there too. Normally, Christinabean and I have several reviews written and ready to go - some even wait for weeks before we post them. So imagine my surprise when I checked this morning and realised I didn't have a review to post. Aaargh!

Now I know that we could just miss a day, and I'm sure we would be forgiven, but we sort of set ourselves a goal when we started that we would post something every day. Despite both working and having families, we have succeeded so far, and I didn't want to let the side down.

So we come to my review of Crave and the whole slump idea. I realised that I have started and put down about 6 books in the last few weeks - not worth mentioning names, some not published yet. They just were not holding my interest enough to keeep going past the first few chapters. Crave, by Laura Burns and Melinda Metz has managed to keep my attention, but, I haven't finished it yet. Do I post about it with the last 70 pages still to read? Why not? I'm enjoying it so far and I think it is worth telling you about.

Crave is a vampire story with a difference - no, not sparkles, sorry. I love that Gabriel didn't take part in the story 'real time' until half-way through the book. As it says in the summary, Shay, our main protaganist, has visions as a result of transfusions, but we don't actually 'meet' Gabriel in the flesh until well into the book. And when we do - nicely done Ms. Burns and Ms Metz - definitely no sparkles!

Shay has been sick her entire life and has been cosseted by everyone. It's no wonder she acts out a bit when she finally feels 'normal'. Basically Shay is high on drugs, but her drug of choice is blood! Note: there is mention in the book of some casual drug use, so if you're not into that, beware. The sad thing is, it didn't seem awkward or out of place. Shay and Gabriel slowly get to know each other in the second half of the book, and I like the fact that it wasn't instant lust, semi-instant perhaps, but not immediate!

Anyway, I've read enough to feel that something major is about to happen, and while I think I know what it is, I'm not entirely sure. So I'm going to leave you with this not quite normal post and just ask your forgiveness. On the strength of what I've read so far, 'Crave' is worth reading. Give it a try - it certainly brought me out of my slump. So I'm off now to read all week-end and may'be I'll throw a load of laundry or two while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil. Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment