Sunday, July 4, 2010

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott




Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott
Published: September 2008
Summary: The Publisher - Simon and Shuster Children's Publishing
Obtained: Audio through library and Overdrive



Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared.

Once upon a time, my name was not Alice.

Once upon a time, I didn't know how lucky I was.

When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends, her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over. Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her. This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget.


I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting when I started listening to this book. I certainly wasn't expecting to be completely blown away by the story. It is both one of the best and one of the worst books I have ever read (listened to). What I mean is, that Alice's story is so raw, so emotional, that it affects you in ways you wouldn't have believed possible. Ms Scott manages to take you into the mind of Alice so completely that you suffer with her, and you just want it to be over. The audio book is short - slightly less than 3 hours, but that didn't make it any less compelling. I honestly didn't want to turn it off, while at the same time had to turn it off to give my brain time to process the horror. Then I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue - I did continue of course, because it was impossible not to. I had to get to the end. This isn't a 'nice' story, but it is one of the most powerful you'll ever read.


No comments:

Post a Comment