Friday, July 16, 2010

My Soul to Keep by Rachel vincent




eArc: courtesy of Harlequin Teen and Netgalley
Published: 06/01/2010
Summary: Netgalley
Review: Curlypow


Kaylee and Nash discover that one of his football teammates is addicted to Demon's Breath, a dangerous Netherworld substance that shouldn't even be available in the human world. To save their friends from insanity--and possibly death--they must figure out how the Demon's Breath got into their world and somehow dispose of it, as well as cutting off the supply--without socially alienating themselves. And in the course of their investigation, Kaylee discovers a deeper plot by a powerful Netherworld demon to open a path between the worlds and pull humans into the Netherworld so that he can steal their souls and imprison their bodies. Along the way, she also discovers someone close to her has been hiding a deadly addiction as well...


In our world people screw up, make mistakes, it's a fact of life. In My Soul to Keep, the newest
installment in the Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent, her characters screw up as well. Lives are shattered, friendships are tested and trusts are broken. Ms Vincent takes a pertinent social issue, treats it with a wonderful supernatural twist and gives us, the readers, an interesting and thoroughly enjoyable tale.

I absolutely loved this installment. My Soul to Take and My Soul to Save were wonderful and I really enjoyed them, but this one is definitely my favourite. The characters were really fleshed out and for me became truly 3 dimensional - not quite so picture perfect. Unfortunately, when I started this one I was under the impression (not sure why) that this was the last of a trilogy. Imagine my consternation when I got to the end and discovered it wasn't over. Talk about mixed feelings. I was thrilled there is more to come, but mad that I didn't get the ending I was hoping for.

I also just recently discovered that there is a prequel available My Soul to Lose so I'm off to get my ecopy of that. - It looks as if it's a novella, and I'll let you know when I finish it. Also if you hop over to Ms Vincents blog at http://urbanfantasy.blogspot.com/ you will see she talks about Tod's story, to come in the future. Now I just have to wait until Jan 2011 for the 4th installment, My Soul to Steal - can you get advanced ARC's? I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment