Thursday, October 7, 2010

Same book, Second look - Spells by Aprilynne Pike


Published: May 2010
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 354
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Six months have passed since Laurel saved the gateway to the faerie realm of Avalon. Now she must spend her summer there, honing her skills as a Fall faerie. But her human family and friends are still in mortal danger--and the gateway to Avalon is more compromised than ever.

When it comes time to protect those she loves, will she depend on David, her human boyfriend, for help? Or will she turn to Tamani, the electrifying faerie with whom her connection is undeniable?

Review:

Spells is the second book in the Wings series by Aprilynne Pike. I enjoyed the first one so much that I decided to read the second. You can read Curlypow's original review here. If you plan on reading Spells and don't want any potential spoilers, stop here.

Ahhh, the classic love triangle. Unlike Curlypow, I didn't feel the same pull towards Tamani. I guess that fairy men just don't do it for me. I'm rooting for Laurel and David at the moment. They are such a sweet couple together. In fact, I think they should double date with Violet and Jay from the Body Finder. Like most relationships, they had to learn some hard lessons. About 3/4 of the way the book Laurel was making the same kinds of mistakes that many teens do when navigating the dangerously tangled love triangle. Maybe they should create a course in high school called Relationships 101 with a module entitled 'The Love Triangle". Note to Laurel, lying to your boyfriend about being with another guy is NOT a good idea and always backfires. Hands up if anyone has been caught in this web?


We as readers also get a glimpse at Laurel's fairy home. It was so fascinating and I especially enjoyed the depiction of the World Tree. Do you ever wonder where authors come up with this stuff? Aprilynne Pike had so many fresh ideas in her book to keep me interested. Laurel has to attend the Academy of Avalon to re-learn the skills of her culture. I loved seeing how differently her life would be in the fairy world. I almost felt like I had a flashback of Hogwarts.

Spells was just as entertaining as Wings and I look forward to Aprilynne Pike's third book entitled Illusions. The anticipated release date is May 2011. This is the perfect read for a slightly younger teen audience as this series seems to be fairly tame in terms of violence or sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment