Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Musings by Knitwits - Bags in Bloom by Susan Cariello



Published: July 2010
Publisher: Watson-Guptill Publications
# pages: 144
Summary: Goodreads



A perfect bag for every occasion, in every season! Each season has its own palette of floral colors, from vivid poppies to hardy wildflowers, from autumn leaves to winter roses—and now you can have a bag to match every outfit in every season. In Bags In Bloom, with just 6 simple patterns and 12 easy embroidery stitches, you’ll learn how to make 20 different purse designs. From a clear overview of embroidery, including a primer on fabrics and different fiber elements you can use to great effect, to detailed instructions on sewing and assembly, and even how to get inspired to design your own, accessories designer Susan Cariello takes you step-by-step through making purses that complement each season’s wardrobe perfectly. A fresh twist on classic embroidery, Bags in Bloom ensures your purse will be as colorful and vibrant as the world aroud you—all year long!


Review:

I was in Chapters the other day, wandering around the craft section, when I glanced down and saw the cover for 'Bags in Bloom'. I was thrilled to bits, because here was a book that combined two of my favourite things - making bags and embroidery. What's not to love?

There are 6 basic bag styles and instructions for 20 different designs using those basic templates. One of my favourite things about this book is the simple stitches using non-traditional embroidery threads. There are flowers made with lace ribbon, knitted ribbon, buttons, sequins and beads. I love it.

I think this book is an amazing starting point for budding bag makers. Take the patterns and embellish the bags in your own way. The instructions for the stitches are nice and clear and the stitches themselves are not too complex, so are great for beginners. I love to hear of anyone out there who shares my love of making bags. May'be this book would be for you?

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, my other hobby is sewing and my favorite thing to make is bags. Did you HAVE to bring this book to my attention? I'm going to have trouble resisting purchasing this. Are the patterns full-size or do you have to enlarge them?

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette, the patterns have to be enlarged I'm afraid, but there are only 7 pages of them and I really think you would enjoy them. Check it out at the bookstore and see what you think!

    ReplyDelete