Thursday, December 16, 2010

Soulstice by Simon Holt


Published: Sept 2009
Publisher: Little Brown and Company
Pages: 266
Copy provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:

The terrifying, nail-biting, and grossly intriguing sequel toThe Devouring.



It's been six months since Reggie first discovered and fought against the Vours, malicious and demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on the eve of the Winter Solstice.

The Vours still haunt Reggie, but only in her dreams-until one night, when an unexpected visitor turns her nightmares into reality.

Review:
Soulstice is the second book in The Devouring series. It is creepy, freaky and very scary but oh so enjoyable. Reggie is back and once again she is faced with finding a way to defeat those awful Vours. You can read my initial review of The Devouring here.

Look for an interesting twist in this book. I was reading the summary for book #3 before I had finished Soulstice and it revealed that someone died in book 2. Soulstice took an interesting twist and I was pleasantly surprised at how it all worked out and set up nicely for Book 3 - Fearscape. I'm looking forward to reading the last in the series.

I still believe that the scariest part about the Vours is that they have no real physical shape except for the person they possess. The thing that makes this series so frightening is entering the Fearscapes. Like a dream, anything is possible and some of these scenes are so disturbing! One Fearscape in particular involved a carnival and clowns. Now, when I was younger, I used to enjoy the carnival/fairs/Exhibition but I do find them to be too stimulation for my senses in the evening now. I MUST be getting older...

My favorite quote
Page 68

'We can only enter a human's body on Sorry Night. One night a year. It's a hell of a traffic jam getting out of our world and into this one.'


I would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys scary movies and has an active imagination but definitely an older teen....think of this as a PG 13 rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment