Saturday, June 4, 2011

Forever Mine by Elizabeth Reyes

Forever Mine

Published: 2010
Publisher: Self Published
Copy:  Received for review
Summary: Goodreads

With her best friend left behind, no prospects, no future, and her mother in jail, things couldn't get worse for Sarah. At least she will soon be eighteen and free to go back home. Freedom however doesn't come cheap, and when Angel, enigmatic and gorgeous, enters her life, suddenly staying doesn't seem like such a bad idea.


Unprepared for Angel's advances and passion, seduced by his charm and intense nature, Sarah goes down a forbidden path, keeping from him a secret. Before she knows it her secret has caught her in a web of lies she can't undo.


This book does include some adult content.

Firstly I would like to apologize to Ms Reyes for taking so long to review this book.  I've discovered that if books are on my computer, it takes me much, much longer to read them than otherwise.  However, that said, I whipped through the last half of the book in about 2 days. 

It took me a little while to get into the characters.  Angel is a very possessive person, and I have never been particularly comfortable with macho, possessive men - they tend to give me the willies, so I had to warm up to Angel, and in the end, I did.  He was at least able to work through some of his issues and I liked that.  Sarah was nicely written and other than a having a distressing tendency to lie by omission, I quite liked the progression of her character as well.
The boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back again storyline was fairly predictable, but it works quite well and was a fun read.  I did find myself becoming a little anxious when things were getting to boiling point, so I must have been engrossed in the story at that point.  There is a rather unfortunate incident towards the end that didn't sit too well with me, but it did serve as a great reason for the 'boy gets girl back again' part of the story.  The moral of the story really is just be honest, which is a very important message.  If you're honest in the beginning and the other person can't accept it, then you're probably better off without them.

Forever Mine is a love story, through and through, and really not a lot else, so if you like romance, I'm sure you'll love it. My favourite parts to be honest were with the supporting characters. I loved Eric and Sofi, Valerie and Alex, and Romero was just great for some comic relief. The group dynamics worked well and I think I'll look out for the second book in the series, which is apparently about Valerie and Alex.


There is a lot of sexual content in Forever Mine, so I would very definitely not recommend it for younger teens at all, but other than that it was fun to read and I'm happy to recommend it to readers who like contemporary romances.  A great summer read.

No comments:

Post a Comment