Thursday, August 11, 2011

Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Published: August 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 352
Copy Provided by: NetGalley and Simon and Shuster Canada
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:

It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...


Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.

On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.


Em and Chase have been chosen.

Review:
I have read quite a few reviews of this title recently and I think that either you will love it or hate it.  Some people found it to be lacking but to be honest, I really enjoyed it.  I felt it was a bit slow to start but by page 80, I was definitely hooked and I just kept reading and reading.  Reading the summary, you get the impression that this book is a bit about revenge but what was interesting for me is that the revenge wasn't taken by the person who felt wronged.  I don't want to give anything away but the book took an interesting twist.  There were a few things that took me by surprise and I felt my emotions really surfacing.

I think a lot of teenage girls will identify with Em and her best friend.  There are certain lines you don't cross and running around with your best friend's boyfriend is one of them.  For any of you ladies who have had this happen, it is devastating to the ego and really makes you question your friendships and trust.  My heartstrings tugged when I read more and more about Em's situation and I kept wanting to yell out "What are you thinking???!!  Don't do that!!@!"

Chase's situation was a little more complicated and I couldn't really identify with it as well.  I didn't agree with the way he acted and Ms. Miles tried to make you understand why he did what he did but still, it wasn't very nice.  I should mention on a side note that there is swearing throughout the book, particularly in the last 1/3.  It would be suitable for teens around 16+ in my opinion due to content and language.

I love scary, creepy stories and this fit the bill.  Several times I was reading late at night.  One scene in particular was pretty creepy.  It actually had me wanting to turn on the lights!  I stuck it out in the dark with my flashlight though because I wanted to find out how it ended.  I'm glad I did!  It was well worth the read.  Thank you to Net Galley and Simon and Schuster Canada for this title!

(One thing that I questioned about this book were the consequences of Em and Chase's actions.  Did the punishment really fit the crime?  I'd love to hear your opinions if you have read this book.)

No comments:

Post a Comment