Sunday, November 20, 2011

Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes



Published: December 27th, 2011
Publisher: Egmont USA
Pages: 336
E copy: Courtesy of Netgalley and publisher
Summary: Goodreads

Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human.

And then every day in between . . .She's something else entirely.

Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism.

When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive. . .and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process.

'Every Other Day' by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is fast paced and incredibly exciting, and had me on a roller coaster practically from page one.  It was a surprisingly complex story line, with wonderful characters and amazing creatures and it took me places I haven't been before. 

Kali was so well written, I felt I was able to get into her skin and feel her needs and desires - at times it was quite creepy actually.  Without giving anything away here, I love the nod to Stargate.  (At least I think it was a nod to stargate, if it wasn't, oops! ) I also love Kali's name - I'm sure it's deliberate that she is named after the Indian Goddess of Death.  You'll have to read the book to get the significance. There's some psychic ability, preternatural creatures all over the place, and a family of hunky boys that I would love to have been a part of.  There are also some very surprising twists and turns in the plot line that had me gasping.

If you're expecting the usual school, friends, supernatural creatures type of story, you'll be disappointed - but if you're looking for a taut, well-written thrill ride, try Every Other Day out for size. Well done Ms Barnes, another exceptional read.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you liked this one. I've just started it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad to hear that you really enjoyed reading Every Other Day! I'm really excited to read this one! :)

    ReplyDelete