Saturday, December 3, 2011

Torment by Lauren Kate


Published: Sept 2010
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Pages: 452
Copy Provided by:
Summary: by Goodreads

Summary:

That’s what it’s like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.
It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts—immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn’t told her everything. He’s hiding something—something dangerous.
What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

Review:

Torment is book #2 of the Fallen series by Lauren Kate.  I think one of the problems with sequels is that so much time passes between when you read the last book and when you read the next in the series.  Have you ever found yourself forgetting the story?  That is what happened to me when reading Torment.  I hate to admit it though. I LOVED Fallen, the first book.  I'm a romantic at heart.  The whole destiny and having a soul mate thing...I know there has been much debate in the blogosphere about Luce and Daniel's treatment of her in this installment.  Personally, I felt that he was protecting her.  At times he was treating her as a child but her reaction to him trying to keep her safe were a bit rash and immature as well.  She started to do things that others advised not to do and she was doing it just to prove a point.  If you want to be treated as an adult, then start acting as one and initiate a mature discussion about your problems rather than doing something irresponsible.  Sorry.  I think that was a "Momism".

Other than that, I enjoyed Torment.  I think my favourite scene was Thanksgiving dinner.  How I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at that gathering!  I find it very interesting how Ms. Kate works the dynamics of the "good" and "bad" angels.  Their relationships, the way they communicate and the rules that govern their behavior.  For me, Torment was well-written with a great storyline and I'll be cracking open my copy of Passion (book 3) soon!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! I didn't realize I was so far behind until you mentioned the third book coming out soon a while back, and then I was like, 'I've only read the first book!' I think this will be coming to me from the library soon since I put a hold on the second and the third at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not the only one who hasn't read it yet Chelsie. I have this and the third on my shelf at home and I can't find the time for them. May'be over the holidays? Right!

    ReplyDelete