Tuesday, March 6, 2012

In Case you Missed It - Rose Bush by Michele Jaffe

Published: July 14th, 2010
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 326
Copy: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Instead of celebrating Memorial Day weekend on the Jersey Shore, Jane is in the hospital, trying to determine how she woke up, paralyzed, in a rosebush. Her friends convince her she was the victim of a hit-and-run accident. But Jane begins to suspect that someone is out to kill her. Now, she must use the clues left behind by each person who visits her in the hospital—friend, stranger, enemy—to piece together what really happened, before it's too late. The truth will change her life forever. That is, if it doesn't kill her.

When I picked up Rosebush at work the other day, I had absolutely no idea why I had placed a hold on it.  I didn't recognise the title or the cover and I don't remember hearing anything about it.  Often when that happens I'm reluctant to start the book - I have so many others for review that it almost seems irresponsible to spend time on one that I know nothing about, but it intrigued me and I decided to give it a go.   Well, what I found in Rosebush was a tight, well written mystery with enough twists and turns and false leads to keep even the most demanding reader happy.  It was wonderful!

The main protagonist, Jane, wakes up in hospital with no memory of how she got there and she's paralysed. - the victim of a hit and run. The way Ms Jaffe weaves her tale has the reader wondering very quickly just exactly what happened.  Is someone trying to kill Jane or is she imagining it? Every time I thought I had a handle on what was going on Ms Jaffe would throw another spanner in the works.  I thought I would get frustrated, but in fact, I just became more involved.  I wanted to help Jane get to the bottom of the mystery.

Jane's friends, Langley and Kate have their own sets of problems, and her boyfriend David - well there's something a little strange about him.  Is her mother really as uncaring as she seems, or is Jane contributing to the problem?  There are  not two, but three hot guys in the story and each one is suspect.  So many questions, so many possible answers, but only one is the right one. I found it easy to relate to Jane - perhaps because I was hit by a car many years ago and still have 12 hours I can't remember - but she seems like a typical teenager and her reactions do not seem forced or unreal.

 When the big reveal comes at the end, I admit to being shocked.  I hadn't guessed.  Oh, I'd had an inkling, but decided I was wrong.   I still can't work out why I didn't see this book back in 2010.  Did anyone read it back then?  Rosebush will satisfy even the most demanding of mystery afficionados. Get set for a wild ride.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never heard of this one, but it sounds great! I didn't even notice the girl on the cover at first. This sounds like a great mystery/suspense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOHHH - now I really have to get this one. Sounds fabulous. I need to know what is going on!

    ReplyDelete