Thursday, June 7, 2012

Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf


Published: April 2012
Publisher: Walker Children's
Pages: 354
Copy Provided by: NetGalley
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Allie lost everything the night her boyfriend, Trip, died in a horrible car accident—including her memory of the event. As their small town mourns his death, Allie is afraid to remember because doing so means delving into what she’s kept hidden for so long: the horrible reality of their abusive relationship.
 
When the police reopen the investigation, it casts suspicion on Allie and her best friend, Blake, especially as their budding romance raises eyebrows around town. Allie knows she must tell the truth. Can she reach deep enough to remember that night so she can finally break free? Debut writer Jennifer Shaw Wolf takes readers on an emotional ride through the murky waters of love, shame, and, ultimately, forgiveness.

Review:


Every now and again I remind myself that the world does not revolve around the supernatural and dive into some contemporary fiction.  Here was another title that I snagged from NetGalley.  By the time I started reading it, I had honestly forgotten the summary.  Unfortunately, there was none on my e-reader so I just started reading.  Breaking Beautiful had me hooked right away.  Watching Allie go through the painful struggle of re-discovering herself and the person she has let herself become really touched me.  If you have ever had a friend or even suspect a friend is going through an abusive relationship, you need to have them read this book.  I watched as layers of Allie's seemingly perfect world were stripped away until she had the truth.  Jennifer's novel tugged at my heartstrings and never let go.  I wanted to reach out for the girl who had forgotten all of the bad things in her life.  


It's a reminder of how love can blind you to what is really there.  Is it love or is it control?  This would be the perfect ISU title for a teen who needs to be reminded that sometimes, you need to open your eyes to what is in front of you.....well done Ms. Shaw Wolf.  

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I really enjoyed this one and thought the author did a great job with a difficult subject.

    ReplyDelete