Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore



Published: August 21st, 2012
Publisher: Harper Collins
e-copy: Publisher and Edelweis
Summary: Goodreads

Until the day I met John Smith, Number Four, I'd been on the run alone, hiding and fighting to stay alive.

Together, we are much more powerful. But it could only last so long before we had to separate to find the others. . . .

I went to Spain to find Seven, and I found even more, including a tenth member of the Garde who escaped from Lorien alive. Ella is younger than the rest of us, but just as brave. Now we're looking for the others--including John.

But so are they.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They caught me in New York--but I escaped.
I am Number Six.
They want to finish what they started.
But they'll have to fight us first.


Ok, let's recap - Book 1 has #4 and #6, book 2 introduces #7 and #10.  The Rise of Nine introduces #8 and #9.  Got that?  6 very different characters and personalities, but with one goal in mind.  Find and kill Setrakus Ra.  Who is he?  Well he is one mega-nasty Mogadorian who is only interested in killing them all as painfully as possible.

This book has all 6 of them running around the world trying to catch up with each other, and getting into explosive straits in the meantime.  It is very cool to see each of them develop new and more interesting legacies and  I laughed out loud a couple of times at the obvious joy the boys have with the 'toys' they find in their chests.  Just like kids at Christmas.

Unfortunately, the book is written in several 1st person POVs that can change with alarming frequency, and I did find it more than a little confusing sometimes.  As the action heats up, the POVs change more frequently, so you have to concentrate really hard to work out who's telling you what. In spite of that, I thoroughly enjoyed the Rise of Nine and I'm sure that it will not disappoint fans.  It's so easy to picture Alex Pettyfer whenever #4 is talking  - swoon!

In a silly aside, where I come from we sometimes refer to cats as mogs or moggies - so it was a little disconcerting when the Mogadorians are referred to as Mogs.  I kept picturing 8ft tall cats - not quite was was intended, I'm sure.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, that story about the cats is funny! I'm looking forward to reading The Rise of Nine! Thanks for the great review.

    Helene @ Helene's World of Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot wait for this - it comes out on my birthday, so guess what my birthday present to myself is going to be? (Along with Such Wicked Intent by Kenneth Oppel...).

    I really really really love Alex Pettyfer as Four. Perfection. Although in the last book, Nine made a last minute dash for my affections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this one answered many questions, but raised some of them as well. We did learn about 8's back story, and a little about 9, too. However, where the heck is 5? SPOILERS, Beware: is 4 really Pittacus Lore? I figure I will know by the end of the series. Anyway, this book really was great in detail and kick-ass scenes. The best of the series, to me.

    Charmaine Smith (Alaska Fishing Lodge)

    ReplyDelete