Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


Published: October 23rd, 2012
Publisher: Little Brown
Pages: 451
Copy: Purchased
Summary: Goodreads

Ethan Wate always dreamed of leaving the stifling Southern town of Gatlin.

But he never dreamt that finding love with Lena Duchannes would drive him away. Lena is a Caster girl whose supernatural powers unveiled a secretive and cursed side of Gatlin, so powerful it forced him to make a terrible sacrifice.

Now Ethan must find a way to return to Lena - and Gatlin - as she vows to do whatever it takes to get him back. Even if it means trusting old enemies or risking their loved ones' lives.

Can Ethan and Lena rewrite their fate and their spellbinding love story in this stunning finale to the Beautiful Creatures series?



This is not going to be a review in the normal sense.  Basically if you enjoyed the other three books, you're going to love this one.  If you did not like them, well it won't matter since you won't pick this book up, and if you haven't already read them - Why Not?

The Caster Chronicles seem to be a series that readers either love, or hate.  Me, I'm definitely one of the former.  I adore this series.  I have now read all four, and listened to the first three and  I can't wait to listen to Beautiful Redemption.  I sometimes wonder how people who normally enjoy similar books can sometimes have such differing views on a book.  In looking at Goodreads there are a plethora of good reviews - 4 or 5 stars - and likewise of bad reviews - 1 star.  There are very few in the middle. 

The series is one that grabbed me from the get-go and I was never disappointed. It is a paranormal story with a few differences from the normal.  There are no mages, vampires or werewolves, but there are casters, and incubi - vampires by any other name.   There is a complete world that Kami and Marg have put together, with layer upon layer of complexities.  There are ghosts that don't frighten and nasty beasties that do.  I fell in love with Gatlin and all of its inhabitants, even the weird or nasty ones - doesn't everyone know a Mrs Lincoln, or someone like her? 

The series really highlights Good and Evil, but at the same time illustrates how things are not always as clear cut as that.  But one of the things I really love is how steadfast Ethan is.  Other characters may waver, but he was always on the straight and narrow.  And he never stopped loving Lena.  No matter what was going on with her, he never wavered. For that matter, neither did Link, and his relationship with Ridley was certainly out of the ordinary.  There are mysteries to solve and journeys to take, leaps of faith and leaps to the death. I laughed and I cried, lots of times and I loved every minute.  I'm just sorry the journey is over.

 If you haven't already tried this series, I really recommend it, especially now that you can read it all in one go, without having to wait a year between each volume.  Let me know whether you are a lover or a hater and why.  I'd really like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment