Thursday, November 8, 2012

Legacy of Tril: Soulbound by Heather Brewer


Published: June 2012
Publisher: Dial
Pages: 394
Copy: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Tril is a world where Barrons and Healers are Bound to each other: Barrons fight and Healers cure their Barrons' wounds in the ongoing war with the evil Graplar King. Seventeen-year-old Kaya was born a Healer, but she wants to fight. In Tril, and at Shadow Academy, where she is sent to learn to heal, it is against Protocol for Healers to fight. So Kaya must learn in secret. Enter two young men: One charming, rule-following Barron who becomes Bound to Kaya and whose life she must protect at all costs. And one with a mysterious past who seems bent on making Kaya's life as difficult as possible. Kaya asks both to train her, but only one will, and the consequences will change their lives forever.

Soulbound was a quick read for me that I thoroughly enjoyed, but there were a few things that didn't quite sit right.  We are introduced to a society where there are Skilled people, Barrons and Healers, but unless I had my eyes closed when reading I couldn't find anything to tell me where they came from and why.  We know that they are meant to defend against King Darrek and his Graplars - nasty beasts who seem to live to feast on human flesh - but I'm not sure why.  I was particularly curious as to why Kaya is a Healer?  What defines her as a Healer?  Why is she not a Barron like both her parents?  However, I managed to get past my confusion and just enjoyed the story. Perhaps I'll find out more in future books?

Kaya was fun to read about and I enjoyed her determination to learn how to fight. She is not happy with being told what to do and questions the status quo.  Enter Trayton and Darius, both quite scrumptious in their own way.  Trayton was a little too good for me - my heart always leans towards the bad boy, and Darius has a lot of mystery about him.  The title sort of leads  to where the story is going, but the journey was lots of fun.  There's lots of action and excitement, some very sweet romance and one or two delicious surprises. I'm looking forward to the follow-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment