Sunday, May 5, 2013

Shout Out to Indies - Triad Awakening by Michael Grigsby

 
 
We here at The Paperback Princesses often receive emails from Indie authors requesting reviews and are blessed with free book copies. Often we are unable to get to so many titles before our mass market published books take over our TBR shelves. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of great reads though! We want to give back to those Indie authors and are declaring EVERY SECOND SUNDAY our SHOUT OUT TO INDIES MEME. For those of fellow bloggers, please feel free to add our meme to your regular schedule. We only ask that you quote and link back to us as a courtesy. For all of you Indie authors, we invite you to contact us at the contact link to your top left. We will select 1 - 3 titles (each time we post) that sound interesting. Lastly, for you readers, this is a bit of a test so please do comment and let us know what you think. We will also be offering up giveaway copies whenever we can! So without further ado, here is this week's pick -


 
 
Published: March 5th, 2013
 
Synopsis:  Sixteen-year-old Hagan Curtis's life is a total mess-alcoholic father, recently deceased brother (Robin), and social invisibility-until an eerie encounter with a trio of ghostly sisters reveals he is part of the Triad. Armed with newfound battle skills and wielding his amazing split-staff, Hagan plunges headlong into training. But soon he discovers that membership in the Triad can be lethal as Spectrals, Necropeds, and Feeders from other realms show just how bloodthirsty they can be. As his team plummets deeper into their first mission, Hagan learns that his brother’s death resulted from Robin’s knowledge of the Triad, and those closest to him are keeping dark secrets. Will Hagan survive the terrifying mission to finally untangle the mystery of Robin’s death?


Age Level: 14+
Content: Mild Profanity, Creature and Fantasy Violence, some sensuality, Alcohol use
 
 
We asked Michael why he chose to write YA and this is what he had to say:
 
Why I Write Young Adult Fiction 
I’ve worked as a teacher for fifteen years.  In all those years, I’ve really loved reading and writing with my students.  I’m amazed at the unlimited imaginations of young people!  To keep current (and find great books for my students), I started reading Young Adult novels.  I was amazed at the huge variety of subgenres and talented authors that were out there.
 Okay, I’m going to make myself sound really old here, but when I was a teenager, there really weren’t YA books. Nope-just children’s lit and adult fiction.  There’d be an occasional author or two (like Lois Duncan) who’d try to write things just for teenagers, but for the most part, the Teen shelf in the bookstore would be as empty as a school on Saturday.
 Thankfully, things have changed.  In my opinion, YA authors are the most creative and edgy out there.  After all, in what other genre do angels date mortals, vampires try to pass 9th grade English, and kids are forced to choose between warring factions in a post-apocalyptic world?  No wonder Young Adult fans are so nuts about this stuff-it’s fantastic!!
 So, when I decided to write my first novel, there wasn’t even a question about the genre-it was Young Adult all the way.  Many of my former students that are in high school have read my book and have given me lots of great ideas for the sequel. And now that I’m the father of a teenager, I’ve written a book that my son and I can enjoy together.  I can’t think of anything more rewarding as an author. 
 
Thank you for joining us on The Paperback Princesses, Michael and best of luck with the book..
 

No comments:

Post a Comment