Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa



Published: April 30th
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages:446
Copy: Publisher via Netgalley
Summary: Goodreads

Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.


I've been waiting patiently for this follow-up to The Immortal Rules to arrive, but it seems to have taken me a surprisingly long time to actually read it.  It was a good story - let's face it we wouldn't expect any less from Ms. Kagawa - but it didn't particularly blow me away the same as the first one did.

Allison continues to grow as a character and I enjoyed her inner struggles with her demon side, particularly where Zeke is concerned and I also enjoyed her interaction with Jackal - there was a definite brother/sister vibe going on there. 

Unfortunately, yet again there were a few nit-picky things that got to me this time around.  For example, how many times do we need to be reminded that Allison's heart is no longer beating? After the 3rd or 4th time I was ready to pluck said organ straight from her chest just to get it out of the way. And if Allison is no longer bothered by the cold and heat, why would she revel in a 30 minute hot shower?  Wouldn't a cold one get the dirt off just as well?  As I said, nit-picky!

On the whole though, I did enjoy The Eternity Cure.  These are definitely not your sparkly vampires and there is a level of violence and tension that gets under your skin.  A good read, but not a great one for me.  Still, I am definitely going to read number three - the little things that bugged me were not enough to put me off.

Just in case you are interested in what I had to say about The Immortal Rules you can check out my previous post here

2 comments:

  1. Great honest review! :) I will be reading this next and I hope to like it like the first book.

    Precious @ Fragments of Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nitpicky things bothered me too -- mostly about her "humanness." In particular, the hot shower. Reminds me of when I read Tommyknockers and he wrote that some character's teeth were chattering -- and her teeth had recently all fallen out. Drove me crazy...

    ReplyDelete