Saturday, July 6, 2013

Game by Barry Lyga

 
Published: April 16th, 2013
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Pages: 517
Copy: Library
Summary: Goodreads
 


I Hunt Killers introduced the world to Jasper (Jazz) Dent, the son of the world's most infamous serial killer.

When a desperate New York City detective comes knocking on Jazz's door asking for help with a new case, Jazz can't say no. The Hat-Dog Killer has the Big Apple--and its police force running scared with no leads. So Jazz and his girlfriend Connie hop on a plane to the big city and get swept up in a killer's murderous game.

Meanwhile, Jazz's dad Billy is watching...and waiting.


Game is an amazingly complex and exciting YA suspense novel  that really could be enjoyed by any adult who enjoys suspense.  Mr. Lyga does not pull his punches.  He seems to realize and accept that many teens enjoy violent and suspenseful stories and he give it to us in spades.

In I Hunt Killers, we are introduced to Jasper 'Jazz' Dent, son of the world's most prolific serial killer.  In Game, we find out more about him and the way he thinks.  Jazz is a very complex character.  This time around we find out even more about the psychological trauma he had to endure growing up - it's no wonder he doubts himself all the time!  His best friend Howie is back as well, with all the problems inherent with being a hemophiliac.  Connie is there too, providing much needed support and a little sass.

Game is psychological thriller at it's best.  Billy Dent, Jazz's father, is evil personified and a creepier character I have yet to meet.  The man has no conscience - and I do mean zero.  Ugly on the inside but with a regular face and good manners - ugh, I get the shivers just thinking about him. There are twists and turns and puzzles galore and you have to have your wits about you to keep it all straight.  When Jazz finally works out what is going on I thought Wow, that was really clever, this will all tie up nicely - but no.  We are left with cliff hangers - yep, plural.  No one, not two, but three separate instances where something major has to be resolved.  Frustrating doesn't even begin to explain it, but it's brilliant. 

Gritty, edgy. very violent and completely engrossing, this book is well worth trying, but do yourself a favour and read I Hunt Killers first, or you will lose some of the impact.  If we handed out stars, I'd give this one 5 for sure.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review. I'm really looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not happy about the cliffhangers but I have to continue this series! I loved the first book so much. I want to grab this one on audio too. I wish he wouldn't end with cliffhangers though...

    ReplyDelete