Saturday, October 12, 2013

Fire with Fire by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian


Published: August 2013
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 528
Copy Provided by: ARC from publisher
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:

Lillia, Kat, and Mary had the perfect plan. Work together in secret to take down the people who wronged them. But things didn’t exactly go the way they’d hoped at the Homecoming Dance.

Not even close.

For now, it looks like they got away with it. All they have to do is move on and pick up the pieces, forget there ever was a pact. But it’s not easy, not when Reeve is still a total jerk and Rennie’s meaner than she ever was before.

And then there’s sweet little Mary…she knows there’s something seriously wrong with her. If she can’t control her anger, she’s sure that someone will get hurt even worse than Reeve was. Mary understands now that it’s not just that Reeve bullied her—it’s that he made her love him.

Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, burn for a burn. A broken heart for a broken heart. The girls are up to the task. They’ll make Reeve fall in love with Lillia and then they will crush him. It’s the only way he’ll learn.

It seems once a fire is lit, the only thing you can do is let it burn...

Review:

Second novels are always iffy for me.  I have to had really enjoyed book #1 to make it to book #2 and the latter has a lot to live up to.  What I loved best about Fire with Fire is that Han and Vivian delivered.  They took what I thought was a contemporary novel and bumped things up a notch.  I thought I knew where things were headed but in reality, I HAD NO IDEA!  After thinking I was so smart in keeping up with the story for the first 90% of the book, it took a major detour!  What a shocker!  To have books turn my book reality upside down in a truly convincing and believable way is something I look forward to.  I want you to shock me, entertain me and leave me flabbergasted.  I have to say, as far as a second book series title, this was the best, if not one of the best for 2013 for me so far this year.

Originally I thought that the Burn for Burn series was comparable to Gossip Girls.  Now I'm thinking it is a little more akin to Carrie by Stephen King...well done ladies.  It was a heck of a long book but very enjoyable...


No comments:

Post a Comment