Sunday, July 13, 2014

Shout Out to Indies - The Sting of Summer by Katherine Over




We here at The Paperback Princesses often receive emails from Indie authors requesting reviews and are blessed with free book copies. Often we are unable to get to so many titles before our mass market published books take over our TBR shelves. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of great reads though! We want to give back to those Indie authors and are declaring EVERY SECOND SUNDAY our SHOUT OUT TO INDIES MEME. For those of fellow bloggers, please feel free to add our meme to your regular schedule. We only ask that you quote and link back to us as a courtesy. For all of you Indie authors, we invite you to contact us at the contact link to your top left. We will select 1 - 3 titles (each time we post) that sound interesting. Lastly, for you readers, this is a bit of a test so please do comment and let us know what you think. We will also be offering up giveaway copies whenever we can! So without further ado, here are this week's picks:


The Sting of Summer by Katherine Over 


Published: May 8th, 2014
Pages: 246


Summer has arrived. For seventeen-year-old Becca, it marks the start of the wedding season. Her family operates an event venue in the form of a renovated barn, and nearly every weekend a wedding takes place in their backyard. Becca lends a helping hand for the accelerated schedule, but work is not the only task on her mind. Seth, her longtime crush, has nabbed a photography internship that requires wedding coverage, putting the two of them in close proximity. Becca intends to make Seth something more than a far-reaching fantasy, but it's hard to build a dream when a growing tension in her family life cannot be avoided.

Will Becca succeed in her quest for love?
Or will summer collide with her plans and leave nothing but a sting in her heart?


We asked Katherine why she writes for a YA audience:

Why write for YA?:

Writing for a YA audience was an easy choice for me—but that was probably the only easy part of the process! The Sting of Summer is a story about love, expectations and family told through the eyes of a seventeen-year-old girl. Exploring those themes from a teenage perspective is exciting because everything is felt so deeply. From the trivial moments to the life-changing, no experience is disregarded.
During my teen years, I searched to find stories that matched the intensity I felt when facing everyday life. I found that connection in YA books. Those stories never patronized me or minimized my feelings and emotions. Instead, they celebrated my youth and helped me to make sense of what I encountered. Truthfully, they guided me through some of the most trying times in high school. Now in my mid-twenties, I hope to re-create what I felt through this special perspective because I understand the power it can have on readers.

However, I think it’s important to mention that when I say I write for a YA audience, I’m not limiting the readers to those in their youth. Anyone can find value in stories told through a teen’s eyes. Eagerness, honesty, and even resiliency can often be found in young people. I love being reminded of those qualities, and I feel like many adult readers do as well.


Book Links:
Amazon: 

Goodreads 
Goodreads Author page

Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment