Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Let's Hear it for the Boys - Blood of My Blood by Barry Lyga






Published: September 9th, 2014
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: 464
Copy: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Jazz Dent has been shot and left to die in New York City. His girlfriend Connie is in the clutches of Jazz's serial killer father, Billy. And his best friend Howie is bleeding to death on the floor of Jazz's own home in tiny Lobo's Nod. Somehow, these three must rise above the horrors their lives have become and find a way to come together in pursuit of Billy. But then Jazz crosses a line he's never crossed before, and soon the entire country is wondering: "Like father, like son?" Who is the true monster?
The chase is on, and beyond Billy there lurks something much, much worse. Prepare to meet...the Crow King.


Review

When I read the first book in this series, I Hunt Killers, I thought it would be impossible to improve on it.  Then I read The Game and realised I was wrong, it could get better.  Barry Lyga has done it again.  Blood of my Blood exceeded even my very high expectations and had me hooked from page one.

The story starts off immediately after the close of The Game - this is a trilogy that you have to read in order.  It only took me a couple of pages to remember what had happened before and the tension starts building from the get-go.  Mr Lyga does not pull any punches.  His writing is very gritty and he doesn't skimp on the descriptions of blood and gore.  But don't get me wrong, this is not a horror story.  At least not in the traditional sense.  Mr. Lyga manages to get deep into the psyche of a very nasty serial killer and we see the way he manipulates and deceives people.  My heart was breaking, yet again, for Jazz but what an immensely strong character he is.  Without giving away any plot points, Jazz's final ah ha! moment is riveting.  

Connie and Howie illustrate the compelling bonds of friendship in such a way that I was completely convinced by these characters.  Even the adult characters in this one were well rounded and essential to the overall plot.  I keep trying to think of anything I didn't like about this book, or trilogy even, and I can't come up with anything.  Blood of my blood is an edge of your seat, seat of your pants rollercoaster ride from start to finish. If you enjoy tense, compelling thrillers this one is for you.

A word of caution - there is some very graphic violence in all three of these books, so be warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment