Saturday, December 13, 2014

Get Even by Gretchen McNeil


Published: September 2014
Publisher: Balzar & Bray
Pages: 320
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads)

Summary:

The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars in Gretchen McNeil’s witty and suspenseful novel about four disparate girls who join forces to take revenge on high school bullies and create dangerous enemies for themselves in the process. 

Bree, Olivia, Kitty, and Margot have nothing in common—at least that’s what they’d like the students and administrators of their elite private school to think. The girls have different goals, different friends, and different lives, but they share one very big secret: They’re all members of Don’t Get Mad, a secret society that anonymously takes revenge on the school’s bullies, mean girls, and tyrannical teachers.

When their latest target ends up dead with a blood-soaked “DGM” card in his hands, the girls realize that they’re not as anonymous as they thought—and that someone now wants revenge on them. Soon the clues are piling up, the police are closing in . . . and everyone has something to lose.

Review:
Get Even was a fun novel about revenge with a bit of mystery.  I would say it was a cross between Pretty Little Liars and the Burn for Burn series by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivan.  There were so many characters right off the bat that I had trouble keeping them all straight.  It got better though after I sketched out a cheat sheet.  KIDDING!!  I considered it but after about 30 pages I was ok.

One of the things I love about Gretchen is that her titles tend to be stand-alone books.  However, this was a SHOCKER.  there was NO WAY Get Even could have an ending like this and not continue.  I LOVE IT when books surprise me like this.  The ending was so abrupt and made me want to scream out WHY??!!  in a half-crying, half-hysterical way.  You need to read this and tell me what you think because I need to pick someone's brain....

This would make a great ISU book...especially if you highlight the bullying aspect.  Loved it.  Try it and then tell me what you think. 

- Christinabean


1 comment:

  1. I read almost half of this one and then put it down. I had so much trouble keeping the characters straight, and really couldn't buy into the premise. Working in a school, it was just too far fetched. To each his own! I'm glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete