Saturday, March 7, 2015

Red by Alyxandra Harvey


Published: March 10th, 2015
Publisher: Entangled Teen
ECopy: Entangled Teen
Summary: Goodreads


Bad girls burn hot…

Red is the color of Kia Alcott's hair.
It's her temper, which blazes hot and always gets Kia into way too much trouble.
And it's the color of fire. Fires that Kia can start…just by thinking about them.

When her latest “episode” gets her kicked out of school, Kia is shipped off to her grandmother, who works for the wealthy Blackwoods. It's an estate shrouded in secrets, surrounded by rules, and presided over by a family that is far from normal…including the gorgeous and insolent Ethan Blackwood.

Ethan knows far more about the dangers of the forest surrounding the estate than Kia can ever imagine. For this forest has teeth, and Ethan is charged with protecting the outside world from its vicious mysteries.

But inside, even the most vibrant shade of red doesn't stand a chance against the dark secrets of the Blackwood family…


Curlypow's thoughts:

I am a huge Alyxandra Harvey fan.  Her Drake Chronicles are among my favourite books with their snarky humour and great characters.  So this was an absolute must read for me when I saw it and I was not disappointed at all.

What I loved about 'Red' was it's contemporary setting with its old world fairy tale type ideas.  Lots of nasty creatures not normally found in our general day to day world are mixed in with a little paranormal firestarting and some modern knights and the whole thing just works.  I could actually imagine a group of people doing exactly what Ethan's father has done, it didn't seem all that far-fetched.  Extremely unlikely no doubt, but I could imagine it happening.

Ethan and Kia were a great pair, with some regular stereotypes being thrown to the wind as we get to know the characters.  There always seemed to be something going on underneath the surface which really kept my interest.  Kia's grandmother was also a great character, with some wonderful surprises of her own.

Lots of excitement and adventure and a fast paced story line laced with humor made 'Red' a very quick and enjoyable read for me.  I don't know if 'Red' is a standalone, and it works as one, but I'm really hoping that we'll see more of these characters.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting. I've not read anything by this author, but I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete