Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Elite by Kiera Cass


Published: April 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 336
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
The Selection began with thirty-five girls.
Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?

America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.

Review:
I am fairly certain that my post for The One (Book #3) was posted BEFORE this one.  We must have gotten them mixed up. So sorry!!

Just a warning to you all.  The Elite is Book #2 in a trilogy.  There will be spoilers in my review. Please don't read it if you have not already read Book #1.

So...sometimes it is nice to get swept up in a nice romance.  Nothing too complicated, just something lovely.  That's what I was thinking of The Selection series.  Girl meets boy.  Girl and Boy fall in love. Boy breaks Girl's heart.  Girl finds another, better Boy. Better Boy falls for Girl. Girl has to choose.  The End.  But...as I was reading through The Elite, all I could think was that Aspen was going to sweep in and ruin it all....and I couldn't help but want to yell at him and say - you messed up buddy.  She found someone new.  Let her be happy.  Let her choose who she wants to be with.  But then the story starts to take on a life all it's own and becomes unpredictable.

For instance, let's take best friend Marlee...she puts herself into an incredibly terrible situation and is lucky to squeak away with her life.  However, America's reaction to Marlee's punishment creates a brawl with the enemy and also lands her in a very precarious position.  The politics in the Selection have begun to remind me of the politics in the Legacy series by Cayla Kluver.  

I loved this book so much that I started Book #3 right away.  The ending seems fairly predictable but how she gets to the finish line isn't!

Sooo...for those of your who haven't read this series yet, prepare yourself for something like the Bachelor meets the Royals.  I think that if you have read the Legacy series by Cayla Kluver, you will also enjoy this series.  


2 comments:

  1. Lovely review. I felt the same way about this series. Romance...but more. They are very popular at my library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Elite irritated me a bit .... but The One righted it in the end. So excited for The Heir now.

    Great Review :)
    Do see my review too here
    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete