Monday, July 19, 2010

Tomorrow, when the war began by John Marsden

Released: June 1, 2006
Publisher: Bt Bound
Copy Provided by: Library
# of pages: 277
Summary:  Goodreads

When Ellie and six of her friends return home from a camping trip deep in the bush, they find things hideously wrong -- their families gone, houses empty and abandoned, pets and stock dead. Gradually they begin to comprehend that their country has been invaded and everyone in the town has been taken prisoner. As the horrible reality of the situation becomes evident they have to make a life-and-death decision: to run back into the bush and hide, to give themselves up to be with their families, or to stay and try to fight. This riveting, tautly-drawn novel seems at times to be only a step away from today's headlines.

I have been meaning to read this book for a long time and when I first started, I was also reading the Mortal Instruments series so obviously, I got stuck on Cassandra Clare (can you tell that I'm a fan?).  There were several things that I found difficult to identify with in this series - the slang (language), and there are 6 major characters to follow.  However, there is a glossary for us non-Aussies...and after I saw the poster previews for the movie, I was able to identify much better.  Yes, I did say it.  There is a movie coming out based on the book.  It is coming out September 2, 2010.


Overall it was a great book.  I enjoyed how quickly the teens were thrown into a threatening and violent situation and had to learn how to think like guerillas in a war but they were still innocent at heart, young and naive.  Certain decisions were difficult to make even though they wanted to be independent.  It made me think about how much the entertainment business has changed.  During the 80s and 90s, movies were geared more towards experience, coming of age, less emphasis was placed on sex and violence (Karate Kid, Goonies, Pretty in Pink).  I've often wondered if teens in the current generation are more numb to sex and violence than 20 or 30 years ago.  If placed in a situation where you needed to take a stand, would you be able to do it?  Would you be able to disconnect yourself emotionally from the possible violent choices you make to survive?

If you enjoy this book, you may also enjoy Gone by Michael Grant or The Dead and the Gone by Susan Pfeffer

No comments:

Post a Comment