Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pretty Dead by Francesca Lia Block

Published: October 2009
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 208
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:

The object of envy and desire, Charlotte Emerson seems to have the perfect life...but she’s been dead for almost a century. When a new romance converges with the return of her first love, Charlotte becomes the subject of a dark bargain that might give her the only thing she’s ever coveted—the chance to be human again.

Critically acclaimed writer Francesca Lia Block gives the undead a second chance at life in Pretty Dead. This provocative, riveting, and wonderfully accessible new novel will reach a new generation of readers who have yet to discover Francesca Lia Block.

Review:

Pretty Dead was a fairly short read, a bit like an extended short story. To be honest, when I first started reading, I wasn't sure if I would finish it and I didn't see where it was going until about 3/4 of the way through where there was a twist that I was not expecting. I can't even remember putting it on hold, but it was a decent change from my regular fare. Throughout the novel, I could not help but picture scenes from Interview with a Vampire. Charlotte reminded me of Kirsten Dunst's character. Trapped in her youth forever. BTW, who gets to star in a movie with both Tom Cruise (that was before he started acting strange) and Brad Pitt before she reaches puberty??

A word of warning...there is sex and quite a bit of swearing in this book so it is not suitable for a younger audience. If you are looking for a quick read, this might be a good one to try. Don't expect a miracle story that will tug at heartstrings or an action-packed thrill but enjoy the ride with this quickie.

No comments:

Post a Comment