Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday Blog Hop - November 12th

Book Blogger Hop


In the spirit of the Twitter Friday Follow, the Book Blogger Hop is a place just for book bloggers and readers to connect and find new book-related blogs that we may be missing out on! This weekly BOOK PARTY is an awesome opportunity for book bloggers to connect with other book lovers, make new friends, support each other, and generally just share our love of books! It will also give blog readers a chance to find other book blogs that they may not know existed!

Each week, participating blogs are asked questions to post and answer on their websites.

I'm honored that this week's questions comes from me (Christinabean):


"If you find a book that looks interesting but is part of a series, do you always start with the first title?"

I usually like to start with the first title in a series but I don't always. If I have heard about a series and just want to give it a try, I might just pick up one of the earlier titles (book 2 or 3) from the library if the first one is not available. To me, a good writer will revisit some of the events in previous books in order to give the reader a bit of a background or even refresh the memories of those who have been reading. Of course there are some series which weave such an intricate plot that it is too complicated to follow unless you start from the beginning. How about you? Do you always start with the first title in a series?


Welcome to the Paperback Princesses! Make yourself at home, take a look around our blog and let us know what you think in the comments section. We would love to hear what you have to say about our posts. We often try to comment on your comments as well so feel free to start a conversation! Since there are two of us running the show, we always have a variety of titles and event postings. Be sure to check out our own personal meme page. Check out Fantastic Fairytales, Let's Hear it for the Boys, In Case you Missed it and a few others. We try to not only focus on new YA books but also great titles from the past.

I must encourage you also to enter our

Smart Chicks Kick It Aftermath Signed Book bash?

Yep, we're giving away signed books. For every 25 followers we get, we add another signed book and another winner! The contest is open to Canadian and American residents and runs until the end of the month. You must be a Google follower to qualify (although extra entries can be earned as well). Happy Hopping!!



Curlypow here - As far as series go, I have been known to stop when I discover that the book I'm reading is not the first. As Christinabean says, most authors revisit events from previous books, but it's just not the same. Then again, it depends on the series. Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Underworld series has different lead characters every couple of books, so the order is not so important there. On the whole tho' yes, I do need to start at the beginning to be really content. I should know better!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Christina! We are new followers! Just hopping by and saying hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2010/11/book-blogger-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping in to say hi and thanks for stopping by my blog. I am now a follower. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to start with the first book in a series but there are a few that don't tie together so I'll start in the middle but usually only if a friend has read the series already and told me I could without being lost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Just hopping by. I sort of feel teh same way, for example Obsidian Butterfly (Laurell K Hamilton) was the first Anita Black book I read.. I didn't realise it was part of a series. I was so intrigued with that though I quickly chased up the others in order.

    shelleyrae @ www.bookdout.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great question- I always have to read from the start of the series- what if there's something I miss out on?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for hopping by! you're blog looks awesome! Have a great week! =D

    ReplyDelete