Saturday, January 1, 2011

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand


Published: January 4, 2011
Publisher: Harper collins
Pages: 256
e-arc provided by: Netgalley and publisher
Summary: Goodreads


Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.


Ok, how do I tell you how great this book was without giving out major spoilers? With difficulty! I loved this book. I started reading yesterday, read about 20 pages and thought - it's ok, and went for supper. At 1.00 am this morning, I finally put the book down with about 40 pages to go because my eyes just would not stay open. Flash to later this morning, where I finished it and now I'm disappointed because I have to wait I don't know how many months to find out what happens to Clara, Tucker and Christian.


Before we go any further I have to let you know I'm team Tucker all the way. He is my new heart-throb. Tall, tanned, blond, dimpled, kind, well-mannered, popular, hot -I could go on and on, but you get the picture. Then there's Christian - tall, dark, handsome, popular, no dimples, hot in a god-like sort of way - are you getting that picture too! And then there's Clara, blond, conflicted, confused, gorgeous and she doesn't know it, kind, not popular, on a mission, angelic(!).


Throw in a younger, popular brother of Clara's, Jeffrey; a twin of Tucker's, Wendy; a girlfriend of Christian's, Kay; Clara's friend, Angela, who's a bit of a mystery; Clara's mother, Maggie and a mysterious bad guy, Sam, and you have all the ingredients for an amazing story. It was complex and exciting, with a build-up of tension towards the end that was almost palpable. The love story(ies) is beautiful and believable . The characters were well-written and real (especially Tucker), and I can't wait for the next two books.


I'll leave you with one of my favourite quotes from page 165 (?), enjoy.

'A lot of girls would be thrilled to receive Tucker Avery as a present, I know, what with the stormy blue eyes and the golden tawny skin and hair, the dimple carved into his left cheek. I have a mortifying flash of Tucker standing in front of me wearing a big red bow and nothing else.

Happy Birthday, Clara.'

No comments:

Post a Comment