Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Let's Hear it for the Boys The Kill Order by James Dashner


Published: August 2012
Publisher: Delacourt Books for Young Readers
Pages: 336
e-copy: Publisher and Netgalley
Summary: Goodreads

The prequel to the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series.

Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares hit the earth and mankind fell to disease.

Mark and Trina were there when it happened, and they survived. But surviving the sun flares was easy compared to what came next. Now a disease of rage and lunacy races across the eastern United States, and there’s something suspicious about its origin. Worse yet, it’s mutating, and all evidence suggests that it will bring humanity to its knees.

Mark and Trina are convinced there’s a way to save those left living from descending into madness. And they’re determined to find it—if they can stay alive. Because in this new, devastated world, every life has a price. And to some, you’re worth more dead than alive.


I loved  The Kill Order, but it was most definitely not what I was expecting.  I was expecting Thomas and Teresa - a la Maze Runner - and to find out how they ended up in the Maze in the first place.  What I got was Mark and Trina and the end of the world as we know it. 

The Kill Order describes how the world falls apart in the first place, how the survivors struggle to keep going, and how everything seems to conspire against them.  I absolutely fell in love with Mark and Trina and I was completely horrified by what happened to them.  Mr Dashner is not afraid to kill off his characters damn him, and he seems to love to put them through the worst trials possible. They just keep pushing through and never completely give up, even when things are at the blackest.    I have since discovered that ranting and raving at the book in front of you does not actually alter the words inside - who knew! 

Kill Order is exciting, mysterious, alarming, tragic and apocalyptic fiction at its best - well I thought so anyway.   I'm kind of assuming that The Kill Order is the first in another trilogy, because it doesn't actually answer the questions that are asked about WICKED in the series. but I can't find anything anywhere that confirms that for me. I really hope it is though, because I'm not ready to give up on the world and characters yet.  It actually reads like a first in series, because of the ending,  and there is still so much more to tell us. I've read several reviews where readers have been disappointed because it doesn't answer those questions, but it didn't bother me too much, I'm just seriously hoping there will be more.

If you're interested in what we thought of the Maze Runner series check out our reviews Maze Runner Curlypow: Maze Runner Christinabean: The Scorch Trials Curlypow: The Scorch Trials Christinabean: The Death Cure.  Wow, I had no idea we had written so many reviews about it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I felt exactly the same way. Not really a prequel. Pretty much a separate story. I, too, wondered if there was going to be another book or two to fill in the gaps, but could not find anything. A good book, but not what I expected. Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete